Dr. George L. Murrell, M.D., F.A.C.S.
Dr. Murrell is double-board certified by the American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, and the American Board of Otolaryngology. He is also a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He graduated in the top 15% of his class at Georgetown University School of Medicine. He completed his General Surgery internship and Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery residency at Duke University Medical Center. He then headed to the University of Illinois at Chicago for a Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery fellowship.
Facial Plastic Surgery
American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
American Board of Otolaryngology
American College of Surgeons
American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery
American Academy of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Fellow, The Triological Society
American Medical Association
President Elect, The Rhinoplasty Society
Association of Military Surgeons of the United States
Society of University Otolaryngologists
Society of Military Otolaryngologists
Society of Military Otolaryngologists
Christian Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
Captain, Medical Corps, United States Navy (retired)
Dept. Head of Otolaryngology, Naval Hospital, Camp Pendleton, CA (2002 - 2012)
Head of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Naval Medical Center, Portsmouth, VA (1995 - 2002)
Fellow, University of Illinois at Chicago (1994 - 1995)
Otolaryngologist, Naval Medical Center San Diego (1992 - 1994)
Participant, Home Study Course, American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery (1989 - present)
National Board of Medical Examiners
Instructor, Advanced Trauma Life Support
Instructor, Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Other Lifestyle Lift Virginia Beach Center Doctors:
|Fellowship||The University of Illinois at Chicago - Chicago, IL
Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
|1994 - 1995|
|Residency||Duke University Medical Center - Durham, NC
Otolaryngology/Head and Neck Surgery
| 1989 - 1992
|General Surgery||1987 - 1989|
|Medical Degree||Georgetown University School of Medicine - Washington, DC
Doctor of Medicine Top 15% of Class, Naval Scholarship
|Undergraduate Studies||Davidson College - Davidson, NC
Bachelor of Science, Biology magna cum laude
|1978 - 1982|
- Murrell, GL. Rhinoplasty and Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery, Plastic Surgery International,
Vol 2011, available at http://www.hindawi.com/journals/psi/2011/473481/
- Murrell, GL. Sonic Rhinoplasty, Laryngoscope. 2011; 121: 688.
- Murrell, GL. Trench Mouth, Otolaryngology–Head and neck Surgery. 2010; 143(4):599-600.
- Murrell, GL. Secondary Syphilis Oral Ulcer, Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 2009; 140(6):
- Murrell, GL, Haegen, T, Beverly, D. Facial Hydraulic Fluid Injection Injury. Otolaryngology–Head
and Neck Surgery. 2008; 139: 729-730.
- Murrell, GL. Tragal Cartilage Grafts in Rhinoplasty. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 2008; 139: 176.
- Murrell, GL. Dorsal Augmentation with Septal Cartilage. Seminars in Plastic Surgery. 2008; Vol 22,
No 2: 124-135.
- Murrell, GL. The Nasal Tripod Revisited. Arch Facial Plastic Surgery. 2007; Vol 9, March/April:
- Murrell, GL, et al. GlideScope Video Laryngoscopes. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery. 2007;
- Murrell, GL, Hayes BH. Hutchinson Sign and Herpes Zoster. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck
Surgery. 2007; 136: 313-314.
- Murrell, GL. Auricular Cartilage Grafts and Nasal Surgery. Laryngoscope. 2004; 114: 2092-2102.
- Murrell, GL, Burget GC. Aesthetically Precise Templates for Nasal Reconstruction Using a New
Material. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 2003; 112(7): 1855-1861.
- Murrell, GL, et al. Facial Contouring. Facial Plastic Clinics of North America. 2003; 11(3):391-397.
- Murrell, GL, et al. Oronasal Fistula Repair with Three Layers. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
2001: 107(1): 143-147.
- Murrell, GL, et al. Septal Replacement for Severe Anterior Septal Deviation. American Journal of
Otolaryngology. 2000: 21(3): 147-152.
- Murrell, GL, et al. Free Flap Repair of Septal Perforation. Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. 1998: 102(3): 818-821.
PRESENTATIONS (ABBREVIATED LIST)
Secondary Nasal Airway Problems, Rhinoplasty Symposium, Vancouver, Canada (May 4, 2013)
Nasal Function Evaluation, The Rhinoplasty Society, Vancouver, Canada (May 3, 2012)
Turbinate Reduction: When and How, The Rhinoplasty Symposium, Washington, DC (April 23, 2010)
Lateral Crural Grafts, Annual Meeting of the Rhinoplasty Society, Washington, DC (April 22, 2010)
Update: Turbinate Reduction, Aesthetic Facial Reconstruction in Adults and Children Symposium,
Tucson, Ariz. (Feb. 18, 2010)
ACADEMIC APPOINTMENTSUniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Department of Surgery: Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery (1996 – present)